FAQs on getting a pre-purchase inspection – Find answers to your questions quickly and easily with some of the common questions customers ask.
What is the Difference Between a Safety Inspection and Pre-Purchase Inspection?
A comprehensive pre-purchase vehicle inspection by BPC Auto Inspect will take between 1-2 hours (60-120 minutes). The pre-purchase vehicle inspection report covers everything including a computer diagnostic report, road test, vehicle identification check, body and paint check for damage, car history check, car finance check, and over-the-phone-verbal report.
Is a Pre-Purchase Inspection Worth It?
Absolutely, but do keep in mind not all pre-purchase inspection services are the same. Also, many companies make you pick and choose between different plans and what checks you want. This can be confusing and many don’t offer finance checks or history checks.
For example, at BPC Auto Inspect the benefits listed are:
- If there are any immediate problems with the vehicle and what servicing/repairs will need to be carried out in the future
- If the seller has put back what they have taken by routine servicing and regular replacement of periodic service items
- Any immediate costs you may be up for giving you a powerful negotiating tool that saves you money.
- Body repairs or previous accident damage which you need to know.
- If you’re buying what you think you’re buying with vehicle identification checks
- If there is any finance owing on the vehicle (REVS/PPSR)
- The car history – written-off or stolen status
- You will be armed with some powerful tools to buy the right car, negotiate the right price, and give yourself peace of mind.
Do You Need a Mechanic Pre-Vehicle Inspection If the Seller Got an RWC?
Yes, you do. A Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) or Queensland Safety Certificate is a basic inspection to comply with the required roads and traffic standards of your state or territory. The basic inspection takes approximately 20-30 minutes. A comprehensive pre-purchase inspection can take between 1-2 hours and covers more vehicle systems and categories. The inspection includes the overall mechanical and general condition of the vehicle such as the categories below but not limited to:
- Engine – Noise/sound, visual, test drive
- Fuel System – Visual, operational
- Exhaust System – Visual, operational
- Cooling System – Visual, operational
- Transmission/Differential – Visual, noise/sound, test drive
- Electrical System – Visual, operational
- Heater/Demister/Air Conditioning – Visual, operational
- Brakes – Visual, noise/sound, test drive
- Clutch – Operational, test drive
- Steering & Suspension – Visual, noise/sound, test drive
- Vehicle Body – Visual, operational
- Cabin Interior – Visual, operational
- Wheels & Tyres – Visual, noise/sound, test drive
- Road Test – Performance, noise/sound, operational
With every mobile pre-purchase inspection by BPC Auto Inspect, we also include the following below where other companies may provide additional or not at all.
- Engine & Body Scan (when available)
- Body & Paint Check
- History Checks
- Finance Checks
- Images Of Notable Problems
- Verbal Report – Talk To Mechanic
Do I Need to Be There When You Inspect the Car?
No, you don’t. we understand the hassles when it comes to buying a car from a private seller, used car dealer, or car auction so convenience is our priority. Immediately after the inspection, your reports will be sent via email with a follow-up phone call to discuss giving you a fast, professional, and convenient service.
How Much Does a Mechanical Pre-Inspection Cost?
Mobile Pre-purchase car inspections can cost between $200 – $400. Some of the larger commercial companies make it confusing and difficult to choose an inspection because they offer three types of vehicle inspection services. This is confusing when trying to do your own due diligence and make the right choice before buying a used car. At BPC we make it easy because the cost for a pre-purchase inspection depends on where the vehicle is located and not on what gets checked. That’s because we check everything! You can see what’s included and our cost after clicking the ‘book now’ button on the pre-purchase vehicle inspection Brisbane booking page.
Do I Get a Car History Check?
Yes, at BPC we include a vehicle history check sometimes referred to as a Vehicle Finance Check, REVS Check, or PPSR with every mobile pre-purchase car inspection written report. You will know if you’re buying a car with finance owing, vehicle history or a write-off (WOVR) check, the registration status, and other important information to assist you in making the right buying decision.
Should I Get A Car Inspection If It Has A Warranty?
Yes, you should. A warranty is not a substitute for a pre-purchase inspection.